- Linz, Austria
Friday, September 11
In partnership with the Austrian Academy of Sciences, metaLAB is bringing Curatorial A(i)gents to the Ars Electronica 2020 festival, happening 9–13 September in Linz, Austria and, virtually, around the world.
The theme for this year’s festival, “Kepler’s Gardens,” highlights the tenuous connections binding the world together in this critical time, with attention to two binaries in particular: AUTONOMY vs. DEMOCRACY and TECHNOLOGY vs. ECOLOGY. The projects in Curatorial A(i)gents cut across these binaries with wit and great pertinence, and we’re excited to bring them to Ars Electronica’s worldwide audience.
In addition to sharing our projects in the festival’s virtual exhibition, on Friday, September 11, metaLAB will host an online gathering with Curatorial A(i)gents artists, contributors to the program’s accompanying publication, and members of the wider community.
Full program as follows:
Brief welcome (Eveline Wandl-Vogt, OAW); introductory remarks (Jeffrey Schnapp, metaLAB)
Part 1 (respondent: Matthew Battles, metaLAB)
- A Flitting Atlas of the Human Gaze Kevin Brewster, Todd Linkner, Dietmar Offenhuber, Jeffrey Schnapp
- Aixquisite Corpse Kevin Brewster, Keith Hartwig, Daniel Newman
- Second Look: Gender and Sentiment on Show Lins Derry
- Ocean Amplification Francisco Alarcon with Stefan Helmreich
interlude - Poster design Chelsea Qiu (Newman is respondent)
Part 2 (respondent: Jeffrey Schnapp)
- Surprise Machines Dario Rodighiero
- Sympoietic System Philipp Schmitt
- Watching Machines Loving Grace Kim Albrecht
- This Recommendation System is Broken Giulia Taurino
interlude - Touchless interface demo/presentation Lins Derry (respondent: Newman metaLAB); closing remarks (Matthew Battles)